Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

This is a healthy good meal that can be altered in so many ways.  Don't like mushrooms?  Don't add them!  Can't stand couscous?  Use rice!  
Here are the key ingredients that I used:

-half of an onion
-2 peppers
-half of a container of button mushrooms
-a couple of handfuls of spinach
-1/3 cup of couscous
also:
-garlic powder
-cumin
-coriander
-chili powder 
-salt

 Chop up the onion and mushrooms.  Add a little salt.  Saute until soft.  
 Cut off the tops of the peppers and clean out the insides:
 I chopped up the tops of the peppers and threw them in the pan with the onions and mushrooms:
 I added the spinach after that.  When it was cooked, I dumped it out onto a plate so I could use the pan to cook the couscous.  One pan meal!
 After the couscous is cooked according to the package directions, add the vegetables back into the pan.  
I added pinches or palmfuls of these, and salt.  Add to your taste.
 Stuff the peppers: 
 Cover with foil and bake them for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.  The peppers were just softened.  
 After that I added some cheese and melted it under the broiler.  They were delicious and very filling!

2 comments:

  1. I'm having great success with my veggie garden this year, & one of my homegrowns is bell peppers. I like your ingredients list, however I would be the one to substitute rice for the couscous. A little trick I learned...if you're gonna stand the peppers up on their ends, don't forget to slice a little off the bottom so that they stand level. Also, after I've cleaned out my peppers, I place them on a rack in a shallow baking pan, adding a bit of water. I then put them into the oven & let them steam as the oven is preheating. I like my peppers soft but not mush. Anyway, I'm so enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, and great to hear you are enjoying the blog! My husband would also be one to choose rice over couscous. :)

    ReplyDelete