Saturday, April 28, 2012

Almond Flour Gluten-Free Muffins

Daniel's cousin, Angie recommended this gluten-free recipe.  Thanks Angie!  It was my first time using almond flour, and I like it.  I am planning to use it as a partial substitute in some of my other baked goods.  I agree with Angie that it adds a pleasing denseness to the muffins.  This recipe has very few ingredients and is a good base for experimental muffin-like foods.

Ingredients:

1 cup blanched almond flour
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp agave nectar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.  Makes 4 muffins.   Recipe from Elana's Pantry.  
 The sad story about these muffins is that I baked them for too long leaving them dry and unhappy.  I am currently working on a solution to this problem.  First, I ripped up the muffins into bite-sized pieces.  Then I poured a ginger and lemon infused simple syrup over them.  (1 cup of water, 1/3 cup sugar.  Dissolve over medium heat and simmer.  Add juice of half a lemon, some pieces of the peel and a chunk of fresh ginger.  Simmer until reduced by about 1/3.  Remove the peel and ginger.  It's tasty!  You can add sparkling water to make an originally flavored soda!)  Right now the muffins soaked in syrup are resting in the refrigerator.  The plan I'm cooking up is to layer the chunks with some pudding and maybe some lemon curd.  Or, I might just end up eating them as they are.  

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you got to try them, but sad that they are so dry for you. :( I'm sure they will be delicious with the additions though. I actually made a Thai Basil simple syrup last night to make homemade lemonade with. Soooo good! I love infusing simple syrups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! A Thai Basil simple syrup sounds interesting. Hmm...another idea I may just have to try. :)

    ReplyDelete